Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pranksters

Meet my two oldest children.
Did I say children? I meant to say  Elves. Tricky little elves. Pranksters in training. They have learned from the best. And by the best, I mean me.

You never think your kids are watching everything you do, until they reenact it in public.

We go food shopping at Trader Joes, once a week. Its a small store, in a smallish town, full of friendly people (I travel far from the city to go) and spend about an hour gliding (ok more so ransacking) the aisles in search of healthy ingredients.

As we hit the check out line, I will start bagging into my reusable environmentally responsible bags while Talon fills out this little "ticket" with my name and phone number in the  case my ticket gets picked and we win the 100 dollar gift card to the store. 

The kind check out clerk will give my children (all three) a half a roll of stickers and they will spend the trip home sticking them to each other and to the windows of the car. (I wasn't planning on getting much for the car during the trade in, eh?)

This particular trip as I was bagging our groceries and thinking out a way to keep the babies awake during the trip home so they will nap decently when we get home, I hear a lot of laughter and giggles coming from the oldest elves.  As I pay for my groceries and place the bags into the shopping cart I go to push the cart of groceries and one adorable chunky baby out to the lot when a man stops me by saying "miss? You have a sticker on your, ya know, your butt"

I turn around  to look at the man speaking to me and see that everyone in the front of the store checking out and standing in line, is not only looking at me, but laughing at me hysterically. Cashiers included. The man then laughs a lot, and my trickster elves, are cracking up. Can we say a lunch room scene from scary mean teen movies?

I stop myself from blushing, remove the sticker from my behind,  thank the man for his sparing me of life long trauma, give my elves my best "your in trouble" look, then I march as quick as I can down to the car with the kids in question in tow.

The minute I stop at the car, I swing around and in my most authoritative voice demand "Who stuck that sticker on my HINEY?!" As I say this, a few of the costumers who were laughing at me moments before, were walking past, and then proceeded to stifle laughter.

The kids giggled again and I realized, I created these two. This is my own doing. Had I been given the stickers, they probably would be walking around still today with them on THEIR hineys.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment